(A global internal audit type function)
October 2016 to Present
(Part of the senior management team within the global compliance function. Focusing upon the conduct risk agenda, notably financial crime and customer outcomes)
Establishing and leading the compliance monitoring team to conduct risk (compliance audit, using an internal audit model, including risk assessment, planning, execution).
• Reporting to the Audit Committee of each capital carrying entity within the group and to heads of strategic business units within a matrix structure, and functionally to the Global Chief Compliance Officer.
• Leading, recruiting, developing and managing a team of nine, based in the UK and the Netherlands. Coaching, developing and managing their performance to meet targets.
• Delivering the compliance monitoring plan as outlined by regulation and mandated by the Group Audit Committee for all four capital carrying entities in the Group.
• Designed, developed and implemented a risk model that drives annual monitoring plan. The plan contains 12 thematic reviews and 10 key continuous monitoring assignments covering crime, conduct throughout the insurance product life cycle, and Solvency II regulation.
Leading, developing and managing a small specialist team of four staff.
• A "hands on" approach, conducting audits at 25 branches across the UK, the Channel Islands and Germany.
• Leadership skills used to recruit, retain and develop the team of 4, in technical skills and operational management.
• Leading by setting the standard for the department;
• Prepared and delivered the first ever bank wide training programme to all levels of staff from CEOs to branch staff.
The Banking Division comprises:
• Group Treasury (corporate and retail activity, providing funding for the lending businesses)
• Motor Finance (retail finance)
• Premium Finance (funding for insurance premiums)
• Asset Finance (commercial lending and leasing)
• Property Finance (commercial lending to the property sector)
• Invoice Finance (invoice discounting and debt factoring)
Recruited, trained, developed and supervised of the London-based national monitoring team of four staff.
• This function operates alongside Risk and in liaison with Group Internal Audit and forms part of the second line of defence in the "three lines of defence" model of internal control.
Crédit Agricole SA CIB London Branch
Feb 2013 to May 2013
• Advised and guided the introduction of new activities and products, and managing compliance monitoring across the Financing Bank in conjunction with Central Compliance Advisory team.
• Reporting to the UK Senior Country Compliance Officer, responsible for compliance advice to the Debt Origination and Distribution arm of the Corporate and Investment Bank (non capital markets trading), covering compliance aspects of structured finance, syndication and de risking of the CA CIB balance sheet for the UK branch.
• Liaising with Head Office and other branches across the globe in support of the new structure.
• Consideration of the impact of new US regulation on banking activities (Dodd - Frank Act and Volker rules) restricting trading where this impacted London. UK representative on FATCA compliance project.
Crédit Agricole SA London Branch - A CAC 40 (Euronext) listed global banking group
Risk & Compliance Manager
is a specialist unit, providing access to the London money markets for treasury operations and medium and long term bond issues to raise liquidity for the Group worldwide. London is an integral part of the Financial Management Division in Paris. The Branch comprised 19 staff and has circa £60 billion assets under management. It specialises in primary issuances to market, notably covered bonds and registered covered bonds under an annual programme.
• Liaison with the UK Money Laundering Reporting Officer on all matters of financial and information security. Key contact for AML, financial crime, sanctions and information security matters. Providing training for all staff in matters of financial security. Reviewing all KYC documentation for the Branch.
• Implementation of automated sanctions monitoring tools.
Operational risk/permanent control
• An autonomous role reporting directly to the Head of Transverse Projects, Group Risk and Head of Compliance in Paris and Head of Financial Security and UK MLRO, in addition to UK counterparts.
• o-ordinaCtionation of the production and independent review of the Branch monthly report / management accounts to Paris and for external reporting.
• Supervision and compliance with FSA and French regulation of the London Branch, including risk assessment, training, monitoring and liaison with the UK regulatory authorities (FSA) and related legislation (fiscal, HR, Data Protection ). Lead contact with the FCA.
• Ensured compliance with other regulatory regimes, notably US where listed debt or USD denominated transactions were placed (Patriot Act, Tax regulation including FATCA, Dodd - Frank )
• Establishment and operation of a comprehensive system of risk management and permanent control for the London Branch, complying with French regulation and UK regulation.
• Assistance to Finance with forecasting and budgeting, providing UK support to the Paris based Group Head of Tax. This included basic UK tax planning work and the full UK Corporation Tax compliance at the time of the introduction of the Bank Levy.
• Regulatory reporting accountant for liquidity returns as a result of changes to liquidity supervision following the 2008 banking crisis. This required individual agreement with the regulators in the UK and France, given the nature of the international cross guarantees for liquidity.
• Regulatory filings for stock exchanges outside of the Euronext system where Crédit Agricole SA has listed debt in issue.
• Service Manager for the Branch internal SLA with Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank covering HR, Financial Security, Compliance, building services and IT support.
• Corporate tax planning and compliance matters for the Branch, including negotiation of the Capital Allocation Taxation Adjustment with HMRC locally and group tax department in Paris.