Paul graduated from University in 1991 and has since been working in the IT industry. He has worked for GSK for 11 years and his current role is Manager, Core SAP Development within the Global Applications & Development function.
He has 23 years experience in many of the technical aspects of SAP, managing large technical teams across multiple locations, and working in senior project roles as technical team lead on several client sites in the UK, the US and Switzerland in a variety of industries such as Manufacturing, Aerospace/Defence, Food & Beverage & Professional Services
In addition, he has implemented a number of outsourcing solutions in the areas of Remote Development and Application Management Outsourcing.
He has also provided technical training both for fellow consultants, and onsite for the client's own development team.
MS SQL Enterprise Manager / Server, MS Office. MS Access, HTML, Visual Basic, MS Project
BMC Control-M (Unix scheduling tool)
Cast Iron (EAI Application Router)
Providing leadership for the resourcing & delivery of Core SAP developments for ERP systems aligned to the overall strategic direction for GSK and the GSK overall operating model, primarily those associated with the Single-Track instance. Spanning projects across multiple waves & releases, namely CERPS W20, MERP R32 33 36, SLM, ICT Agile, FSCM, Concur, Ariba, Hybris and Non-wave enhancements.
Managing large portfolio of resources across several Strategic partners & Agency workers: 90 directly & also provide reporting on another 40 into Director, Software Development, GA&D via bespoke Demand Tracker tool.
Ensuring that resources are available and ready to work for all core development requirements & liaising with strategic partners to source suitable resources, with a focus on developing offshore capabilities, and maintain them in teams to ensure continuity where possible.
Developing resource requirements for large implementations such as CERPS W20 Brazil, reviewing proposals from Strategic partners and determining optimal provider based on several Criteria. Once selected work with Procurement on the commercials required to engage with the team & provide support & Guidance during onboarding of teams
Working to VFQ principals identifying Value in current team by cost/benefit and aligning to key strategic programs - looking to optimise the Flow of onboarding new resources into portfolio and minimising risk & disruption when switching resources
As GSK strategy has changed from traditional Waterfall project delivery to align with Agile ways of working, looked to align teams / locations of resources to optimise value from the new delivery process
Transitioned team from two areas (CERP & MERP) into one cross functional team ensuring no risk on MERP when existing Technical lead exited
Implemented & embedded Governance Models such as twice weekly Development Design Review meeting, chairing the meeting to review all key Design changes requiring Development, ensuring proposed solutions are fit for purpose & scalable
Responsible for the resourcing & delivery of ABAP developments for ERP systems primarily those associated with CERPS Programme. Spanning projects across multiple waves & releases, namely CERPS W10/11/13/14, Vertex, ICT, SNP Embed & Sustain, P2P Remediation, Trading Partners, Procurement Card and Non-wave enhancements.
For each STP associated with these projects, I validate the technical solution proposed by functional & technical team, ensuring what is proposed does not adversely affect landscape template whilst meeting the end to end business process requirement, and also ensured that the estimate proposed was appropriate.
This extends into my role as a core member of twice weekly DA meetings, whereby the support or challenge of an STP proposed allows me to influence senior stakeholders in the business / IT community
Extensive experience working with SI partners HCL / Tech M / TCS to resource projects. Meet weekly with onshore leads from each SI to discuss current & future resourcing requirements. Involved in building, verifying and rating of DML in order that RFP could be issued to three SI's on IPT project. Worked closely with TSS Development Service Lead and IT Procurement to review proposals from SI's - attended meetings and provided feedback on strengths / weakness of each proposal
Visited offshore sites in Calcutta / Bangalore to review ODC facilities and provide a number of presentations to the offshore teams about expectations of adhering to GSK standards / methodologies. Following the trips, created a presentation of observations to GSS LT team and used the courses presented to generate material which is used in the UK and overseas when onboarding new resources
Provide Technical Governance by owning & updating technical standards for the design and implementation of ABAP code, and ensuring compliance with GSK Procedures and Policies as well as audit and validation requirements. Ensure programming standards are kept current with new technologies such as HANA
In order to help improve 'Right First Time' created a QRC endorsed process to carry out monthly L1 checks for Source Code review process across programs to ensure process is being adhered to.
Managed a number of direct reports (internal and 3rd party), working closely with Portfolio Directors, Programme Directors and a range of Project Managers throughout numerous project lifecycles.
Ensured both quality of delivery and that projects remain in line with business objectives at all times-
• provided input to, refined and reviewed project plans
• managed demand to ensure resourcing requirements are met
• provided and reviewed technical estimates
• managed a team of technical consultants (mix of onsite / offsite) ensuring project objectives are met in line with original estimates both from a delivery and financial aspect whilst ensuring the quality of the work delivered
• provided technical governance on the delivery of all development work and documentation
Attended Lean Sigma training and used the skills learned to facilitate frequent Communication Cells with technical team. Applied these skills to drive process improvement, customer satisfaction and achieve high standards throughout each project involved with.
Line Manager to internal development team. Met to set and review Personal Development Plans and managed any work related or personal issues
Technical Project manager on (CTI) Template Improvement Project across three releases and later CERPS Wave 10/11 - managing a £1M+ budget with team of 20 developers (Onshore/Offshore), developing L3 plans and managing their work and communicating updates to core stakeholders (Delivery / Project Management) providing assurance that budget / project timelines will be met.
Working in this role has increased my appreciation of other areas of SAP development such as Portal & PI/PO as many STP's cover these technologies
Supported & guided the HANA CRM remediation process, explaining to the project manager & offsite developers the process expected at the commencement of the work & at weekly meetings have ensured they are adhering to the GSK processes & standards.
Have a understanding of Mobility / Fiori due to reviewing early proposal of Procurement Card solution and once built, attended session to demo the solution. Also worked to validate the ABAP part of overall solution.
Technical lead at commencement of 5 year programme to utilize the functionality within the SAP OER(Object Event Repository) module to apply unique identification and security features to product packaging and report serialised product movement to comply with regulation.
At the start of the project looked for multiple solutions, as the Business Requirements were still in flux. Provided solutions with and without Aii component, and also randomisation element either via an external 3rd party Baycoder tool or internal to an SAP component. Worked closely with Integration team, presented pros and cons of each to the Programme Director and Solution Architect.
Strong appreciation of the various levels of regulatory compliance through the world which will affect the solution at differing phases. These vary from Unit Coding & Authentication in Europe, through Traceability in China and Brazil,uptoanE-Pedigree solution as required in the USA
In addition, in this role:
• provided technical design and governance for the proof of concept solution whereby a randomized set of serial numbers could be generated and moved between SAP OER and PI.
• experience of working within the SAP Aii Module as this was assessed as part of the sandbox phase of the programme. Whilst not in scope for Phase 1 of the programme, may still be a need to implement it on future phases of the project where there will be requirements to integrate externally generated serial numbers into the solution and also to provide warehouse management functionality.
• good appreciation of GS1 standards and also PML / EPCIS messaging standards to be used when passing serial numbers between OER, PI and the (SEAvision / Systech) Line equipment (via the PIMMS - Product Identification Middleware Management System).
designed and implemented a number of developments to provide enhanced Quality Management Laboratory Functionality:
ALV Reporting / Inspection Point (Sample / PM) Lifecycle / Physical Sample Report / Test Equipment Tracking / Sapscript / Stability Study (Quality Notification) Report
Implemented a BADI to provided Flexible Characteristic Specifications selection via a user popup
Implemented a number of user exits to provide additional functionality in relation to results recording against QM Master Inspection Characteristics. In QM01 (Inspection Plan Create) a user exit was coded to call a bespoke popup screen to enable the user to enter description/constant value/link against every parameter in the characteristic formula
This information was then presented in a further popup screen in QE51n (Inspection Lot results recording) at the point that results were recorded for the characteristic to facilitate the users understanding of the complex formula.
A further function module was created to calculate Standard Deviation / Relative Standard Deviation / Coefficient of Variation against certain characteristics values in the inspection lot
In addition, managed the generation of system requirements / design specification / testing documentation
Client: British American Tobacco - SAP 4.7 Enterprise / SCM system for supply chain management of leaf tobacco
• Responsible for planning the development work of 7 developers across R/3 and SCM, ensuring the project was correctly resourced from a technical perspective. Furthermore, developed a formal process to manage the provision of high quality specifications by the projects functional team and the return of high quality code by the development team by implementing quality checks at each step of the work.
• Reported weekly to the Solution Management team communicating the status of work within the technical work stream and providing forecasts going forward against the agreed development project plan.
• Within the Basis function, managed transport procedure, environment setup, backup & client copy strategy.
• To support the transport process, integrated and configured a bespoke transport tool from another of the client's systems and educated the implementation team in its use.
• Chaired the daily change management meetings through go-live which were the point of focus for the approval of all transports to the production environment.
• Principal point of contact within the project team for the escalation of Basis issues to outsourced supplier, providing effective communication back to the team in this area.
• Post go-live, managed the transition of all technical objects to the offshore support team ensuring that the high level of support the end-user community demanded was not affected.
• Developed and maintained the project plan to support the production build of the R/3 / SCM / BW environments and the population of the required Transports and Master / Transactional data prior to go-live.
• When additional resources were required to support the project, managed the interview process and made the final decision on which resources to bring into the project. Also managed the integration of new technical hires into the project team.
• Advocate of client's best practices in application architecture and integration technology to maintain quality of system design.
• Developed and raised awareness of technical projects standards and best practices within the technical team and ensured they were adhered to.
• Ensured technical team was kept abreast with technology strategy used with the client and also had an up to date understanding of relevant SAP technologies.
Lead Technical Transition Consultant on a SAP Application Management Outsourcing Project. Successfully transitioned all technical tasks and responsibilities for the SAP landscape to the outsourced technical team. Following the transition in order provide a comprehensive 24/7 support model, was the client's principal technical contact, resourcing all technical requests, reviewing the quality of the delivered work and managing issue escalation and resolution.
Principal technical consultant leading teams & developing technical RICEF solutions for clients in the UK & US:
Diageo / GE Aero Engines / Polaroid US / Pratt & Whitney / Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space / Raytheon Aircraft US / Newport News Shipbuilders / Harley Davidson Financial Services.
SAP R/3 3.0-6.0 Enterprise (SD, MM, FI, CO, PM, SM, PS,QM, LSMW)
SAP SCM (APO 5.0) - Core Interface (CIF)
SAP OER / Aii to support Serialization
SAP ITS, SAP@Webstudio, ALE, RFC/BAPI, IDOCs, ABAP Objects, Sapscript, Smartforms, SAP Best Practice Install using BC sets, Zebra printer integration, Goldfax fax server integration